1. Michael Jackson's This Is It - 37 Million - NEW
2. Paranormal Activity - 15.6 Million - -26%
3. Law Abiding Citizen - 7.6 Million - -39%
4. Where the Wild Things Are - 7.1 Million - -49%
5. Couples Retreat - 6.7 Million - -37%
6. Saw VI - 5.5 Million - -61%
7. Astro Boy - 3.8 Million - -43%
8. The Stepfather - 3.7 Million - -41%
9. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - 3.7 Million - -31%
10. Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant - 3 Million - -53%
Michael Jackson's This Is It is the only new opener this weekend, with almost no competition to speak of. The only question regarding it is just how large it will open. Producers were estimating a whopping 200M in its first five days, but the sell-outs thus far have not indicated such a ridiculous figure. It seems to be a case of overhype, though it should still do reasonably well. Expect around 40M for the 3-day, 65M for the 5-day. After the hilarious bomb of Saw VI, MJ will likely spice things up a bit.
Next week: Disney's A Christmas Carol, the real-life creeper The Fourth Kind, the Richard Kelly helmed thriller The Box and the unfortunately titled The Men Who Stare at Goats.